GlaxoSmithKline NZ Ltd and GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare New Zealand Limited (“GSK NZ”) respects and upholds your rights to privacy in accordance with the principles of the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 and the Health Information Privacy Code 1994.
This policy describes how GSK NZ manages any personal information we have about you.
2. What personal information about me may GSK NZ hold?
GSK NZ may hold information on individuals who fall into one of three main groups: health professionals, members of the general public and others. The information typically held about you if you are a member of the various groups include:
- Your name, business address, business telephone number(s) and email address
- Professional details
- Practice specialty including areas of interest
- Membership of professional associations
- Practice and/or business details including GSK NZ product usage
- Dealings with GSK NZ: For example: details of medical enquiries, adverse event reporting, clinical trial involvement
- Details of sales representative appointments and pharmaceutical company sponsored programs such as seminars and meetings
Consumers and the General Public:
- Your name, relevant address, telephone number(s) and email address
- Dealings with GSK NZ such as: medical enquiries, adverse event reporting, patient support scheme participation and clinical trial participation
Other persons such as third party contractors and job applicants:
- Your name, business address, business telephone number(s) and email address
- Dealings with GSK NZ: work and employment references, reports and assessments
- GSK NZ will not collect sensitive personal information about you without your consent, such as personal information about your health, race, political opinion etc.
GSK NZ will store information collected about you securely and access will only be allowed to those authorised and then only for the purpose for which it was collected and in the case of sensitive information the purpose for which you have provided consent.
GSK NZ will delete from its records personal information no longer required or in use for the purposes for which it was collected, including those purposes listed in paragraph 3 below other than health information, which we are legally required or are legally able to retain. If at all possible such information will be retained in a way that you cannot be identified.
GSK NZ will, if at all possible, collect information it holds on you directly from you but it may on some occasions be collected from other sources, some of which you may be unaware, including:
- Publicly available directories and listings such as telephone directories
- Newspapers, magazines, professional journals and the electronic media
- The internet and other electronic communications such as:
- Articles and information pieces in which you feature on a website such as a health information site or a medical professional site
- The date, time and domain from which you access GSK NZ's website
- Personal communications with GSK NZ's staff
3. What does GSK NZ do with my personal information?
GSK NZ collects personal information at different times which may be used for one or more of a variety of purposes depending on the circumstances. These are as follows:
- Maintaining a record of medical queries, complaints and adverse event reports relating to GSK NZ products and reporting these to relevant regulatory bodies, related companies or other companies which market the same product as may be required or prudent
- Administering disease awareness/management programs or other similar programs organised by GSK NZ
- Notifying you of matters that GSK NZ may be required by law to notify you of (eg. product recalls)
- Generating customer lists for the purposes of GSK NZ's own market research
In the case of Health Professionals:
- Sending you material on and contacting you regarding GSK NZ's activities and products or developments in pharmaceutical treatments which may be of interest to you and tailoring marketing services to suit your needs
- Supplying you with clinical samples of GSK NZ products
- Administering clinical trials or other research organised by GSK NZ and which you agree to participate in or be involved with
- Administering conferences, symposia, expert panels, seminars or other meetings or events organised by GSK NZ
- Managing, planning and arranging meetings between you and the GSK NZ sales representatives
- Monitoring and reviewing GSK NZ's compliance with relevant regulations and codes of conduct in its dealings with you
GSK NZ will not disclose personal information about you to any person except if we are authorised to and in the following circumstances and then only that information which is necessary:
- Regulatory authorities (such as MedSafe) where GSK NZ is under a legal obligation to provide your personal information to the particular authority
- Third parties that we use in the ordinary operation of our business, such as for conference organising, marketing, data processing and associated printing and mailing. For example, it may also be provided to Clinical Research Organisations for the purposes of medical research. We will only provide your personal information to reputable third parties and then only on a confidential basis where we are satisfied that those third parties will similarly comply with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 and, where applicable, the Health Information Privacy Code 1994
- Companies related to GSK NZ for the same kinds of purposes as listed above. Subsequent use and disclosure by the related company will be generally in compliance with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 and, where applicable, the Health Information Privacy Code 1994
- Another company for the purpose of ensuring continuity of product supply and/or service if the supply of the product or service has been transferred to that company
- Such third parties otherwise permitted or required by law
At any time you may opt out of receiving any marketing or promotional communications from GSK NZ, although GSK NZ may then be unable to provide you with all of the information regarding our programs, events, services or products which may be of benefit to you.
You may request access to your personal information GSK NZ hold about you by writing to "The Privacy Officer" at the address below. Your request must detail your name, contact details, your former name or alias if any and the information you believe GSK NZ may hold on you. You do not have to provide a reason for requesting access. Where GSK NZ holds information that you are entitled to access, we will endeavour to provide you with a suitable range of choices as to how you may access it (eg emailing or mailing it to you).
In any event GSK NZ will acknowledge receipt of your request within 7 days and endeavour to respond to your request within 30 days.
If you believe that personal information GSK NZ hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request we amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If GSK NZ does not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then we will add a note to the personal information we hold stating that you disagree with it.
Any questions about this policy, or any complaint regarding treatment of your privacy by GSK NZ, should be made in writing to the address below.
Our contact details are as follows:
GlaxoSmithKline NZ Ltd
Level 11, 21 Queen Street, Auckland Central
Auckland, 1010 , New Zealand
Fascimile: +64 9 367 2910
Web: Contact us
In this policy "personal information" has the same meaning as under the Privacy Act 1993. References to "GSK NZ" are to GlaxoSmithKline NZ Ltd, which has issued this policy.
GSK NZ may change this policy from time to time. We encourage you to periodically review this policy to stay informed about how we are helping to protect the personal information we collect. Although we intend to observe this policy at all times, it is not legally binding on GSK NZ in any way.